Lotus confirms switch to Mercedes power for 2015

Suzuka Circuit, Suzuka, Japan. Friday 3 October 2014.Pastor Maldonado, Lotus E22 Renault.World Copyright: Alastair Staley/Lotus F1.ref: Digital Image _79P0972

Lotus has confirmed that it will switch from Renault to Mercedes power units from 2015.

The Enstone-based team, formerly the Renault works squad, has been powered by the French firm without interruption since the 1995 season.

However, with McLaren opting to reunite with Honda for next season, Lotus will become Mercedes’ third customer team from the start of next season, ending the team’s 20 year association with the Renault.

‘We are pleased to have been chosen by Mercedes AMG High Performance Powertrains in a significant long term deal,” said Lotus CEO Matthew Carter.

“We intend to return to the front of the field with the goals of winning Grands Prix and being a strong championship contender once more and we see this new agreement as one step towards this aim.

“The Mercedes-Benz Power Unit has shown good performance on track and it is our goal to marry this motive force to Enstone’s chassis expertise.

“It is our desire that the E23 Hybrid, powered by Mercedes-Benz, heralds a new era of success for Enstone. At this juncture we would also like to thank Renault, who have been so closely associated with the team over its history and for the joint success we have achieved together.”

Mercedes, who will also supply Williams and Force India next season, have dominated the opening year of the all-new V6 turbo power unit regulations, winning 12 times.

“It was strategically important for Mercedes-Benz to continue to supply three customers throughout this generation of power unit, in addition to the primary focus on our Silver Arrows works team,” said Mercedes motorsport boss Toto Wolff.

“It was therefore clear that we would be looking for a new customer from 2015. Lotus F1 Team is an impressive organisation that has delivered competitive on-track performances in recent seasons.”

Lotus confirmed earlier this year that Pastor Maldonado will remain with the squad for next season, but Romain Grosjean’s future with the team remains unclear, owing to his Total backing.

Image courtesy of Lotus F1 Team

Advertisements

One thought on “Lotus confirms switch to Mercedes power for 2015

  1. Pingback: Lotus reveals first images of Mercedes-powered E23 Hybrid | Dan Paddock's Motorsport Portfolio

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s