Marussia’s hopes of racing in Formula 1 this year have been dashed after the F1 Strategy Group rejected the team’s request to use its 2014 car this season.
The Strategy Group, which is made up of F1’s top teams Mercedes, Red Bull, Williams, Ferrari and as of 2015, Force India, met alongside Bernie Ecclestone and FIA president Jean Todt on Thursday to discuss plans for the future of the sport.
Talks also involved the future of the Marussia/Manor squad, after it was confirmed on Wednesday that the team is set to exit administration later this month, with a view to racing in 2015.
However, F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone says that Marussia’s request to use its 2014 car this season failed, after the move was blocked by a number of teams.
“They wanted to come in with last year’s car and it didn’t get accepted,” Ecclestone told the Independent. “It needed all the teams to agree and there were three or four of them that didn’t agree.”
Marussia’s rivals will now share the £34m of price money the team earned for its ninth place finish in last year’s constructors’ championship.
“The money that they should have got gets distributed amongst the teams that are racing,” Ecclestone added. “That’s a pretty good reason I suppose.”
Marussia entered administration ahead of last year’s United States Grand Prix, and missed the final three races of last season, but former team bosses Grame Lowdon and John Booth continued to fight to save the beleaguered squad over the winter.
The team was understood to have found new investment, but given the late stage of its revival, Marussia would not have been able to prepare a new car ahead of the season-opening Australian Grand Prix in March.
It was confirmed on Friday that the final assets of Caterham, which entered Formula 1 alongside Marussia under the Lotus Racing name in 2010, are set to go on auction.
This article first appeared on Richland F1 – Image courtesy of Marussia F1 Team