Kevin Magnussen says he is focused on getting back into Formula 1, but has not ruled out racing in another series in 2015.
Magnussen, who lost his McLaren race drive late last year, substituted for Fernando Alonso during testing at the Circuit de Catalunya on Saturday, as the Spaniard recovers following his accident at the Spanish circuit last week.
The 22-year-old – driving the Honda-powered MP4-30 for the first time – completed 39 laps before the car suffered an oil leak, which forced McLaren to cut short its test programme.
“My main focus is to get back into Formula 1 again in a race seat,” he told reporters at the Circuit de Catalunya. “I just want to be in the best position and take the best opportunities that I can, but stay connected to McLaren.
“There are two drivers contacted now, so my future is with McLaren. I want to prepare for that and be ready when I can.
“I haven’t given up. I’ve just got to make the right choices and do the right things to put myself in the best situation for that.”
Magnussen expects to attend all 20 races this season in his new reserve role, but admitted he could look to dovetail his McLaren duties with a drive in another series.
“Unless I’m going to race something else next to Formula 1 then yeah, I should be going to all the races,” he explained. “I’m till not sure If I will race anything next to Formula 1.
“McLaren and Formula 1 is the first priority. I’ll be going to as many [races] as I possibly can.
The Dane admitted he had considered the possibility of racing at the Le Mans 24 Hours alongside his four-time class winning father, Jan.
“I asked my Dad if he would ask Corvette if there was an available seat there, he explained.
“That would be really cool to do, be teammates with your dad at Le Mans and try and win the class, but they had already signed the drivers for the car. So unfortunately that doesn’t look like it’ll happen this year.”
This article first appeared on Richland F1 – Image courtesy of McLaren